Heavy Duty Repairman – RSS II
Purpose and Scope:
Repairs and assesses malfunctions, rebuilds, and performs maintenance on heavy equipment and construction equipment, such as cranes, power shovels, scrapers, paving machines, motor graders, trench-digging machines, conveyors, bulldozers, dredges, pumps, compressors
and pneumatic tools. Position is represented by a Union Collective Bargaining Agreement.
Minimum Position Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities Required:
- Operates and inspects machinery or equipment to diagnose defects.
- Dismantles and reassembles equipment, using hoists and hand tools.
- Examines parts for damage or excessive wear, using micrometers and gauges.
- Replaces defective engines and subassemblies, such as transmissions.
- Tests overhauled equipment to ensure operating efficiency.
- Welds broken parts and structural members.
- May engage in cleaning parts and assisting with assembly and disassembly of equipment.
- May repair, adjust, and maintain mining machinery, such as stripping and loading shovels, drilling and cutting machines, and continuous mining machines.
- Reviews technical data and data systems to ensure proper repair parts are identified, acquired (if required) and issued to the repair work order and required repairs are completed according to that technical data.
- Assures all operations are conducted in a safe manner, and stops work if hazardous conditions are observed.
High school education or GED equivalent required. Technical, vocational, trade school education or equivalent is also preferred. Two to five years’ experience troubleshooting and repairing heavy equipment. Experience in diagnosing equipment utilizing laptop
computers, gauges, and instruments in all machine systems: electronics, hydraulics, power train, engines, and general machine performance is expected. Knowledge of basic tools and tool usage, including basic welding skills. Commercial Driver’s License (CDL)
desired. Possess Journeyman status per Union rules. Must be able to obtain and maintain a required Top Secret level security clearance.
Work Environment, Physical Demands, and Mental Demands:
- Occasionally lift and/or move up to 75 pounds.
- Long periods of standing
- Periodic exposure to seasonal heat and cold
- Working with oils and greases, and noise,
- Working outside, stooping, bending, squatting, or working in a prone position.
- Constant attention to detail in high traffic areas or working in tight, close spaces;
- Must be able to read/write/speak English;
- Must possess basic mathematical skills;
Arcata Associates is an Equal Opportunity / Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability, or protected veteran status.